Sigacik is situated in Sigacik Bay, 5 km west of Seferihisar. In addition to
its historical and natural beauties it is also a natural bay. Sigacik,
embracing Teos, which is one of 12 Ion cities, takes its name from the times
1521-1522 when it was used as a hiding place.
Once being the capital of Ionian civilization, Sigacik was a
rival ofEphesus. Sigacik is on the west of Seferihisar and is surrounded by
tangerine gardens. The only height between Sigacik and the center is Tasdibi
Hill. Entering Sigacik, one is welcomed by the turquoise sea, the castle
dating back to Suleyman the Magnificent, luxurious fish restaurants,
peaceful cafes and the green squire with the bust of Great Atatiirk
In Sigacik a feeling of timelessness captures one with its
glittering sea and brilliant sun. This serenity keeps you away from
your daily worries like a nymph touching you with her magical stick.
Sigacik, with its clear waters, has been a home for the most
delicious fish and the most talented fishermen. It has a marina with
the capacity of 50 boats. Also the place is suitable for nautical
sports such as surfing, sailing and diving. * Akkum beach with its
modest facilities is ready to meet your requirements all day long.
In the fabulous waters of Sigacik one can engage in diving, observe
the undersea beauties and fish. For these purposes yachting tours
are available. In Sigacik, there is Ekmeksiz Beach, which is one of
Turkey's cleanest, and coldest bays. It has a "blue flag" award, it
is closed to northern winds and there are also fresh water springs
beneath the sea. There are also camping and picnic areas in the pine
tree covered hillsides. With its warmhearted inhabitants, Sigacik is
just one of Turkey's treasures. The building of a new marina may
have positive effects on its potential. Time will show.
The citadel, which dates back to the Seljuk's, is well preserved
enduring the dilapidating effects of history, nature and technology.
After the destructive earthquakes, it has been reconstructed first
by Aydinogullari and than by the Ottomans. After the realization of
its strategically importance in the Aegean Sea by Piri Reis, it is
reconstructed by Palak Mustafa Pasha with the order of Sultan
Suleyman the Magnificent, with the stones brought from Teos ruins.
The present condition of the citadel dates back to 1521-1522.
Despite of its weariness, the citadel greets you together with the
harbor and the sea. Previously the citadel, which had been called as
"Sigla", was used as a naval base rather than defensive purposes. It
ha's three gates named; Kusadasi, Ayasilik and Seferihisar. In the
naval base, there are primary walls and secondary walls where there
are dormitories and drill fields for soldiers. In the secondary
walls facing the sea, there are two towers and two gates. On the
walls of the citadel, the second floors of some houses rise and
stones from Teas can be seen beneath. On the north sides of the
walls of the towers, which face the courtyard, there are parapets
some of which are closed. The houses in the citadel are built close
to each other, which have one or two floors. Generally the houses
are built of sun-dried bricks and they have courtyards. The two-floored
houses have bay windows and wooden shutters. The stairs and doors
inside the houses are also made of wood. On the north of the citadel,
the arch of Barbaras
Hayrettin Pasha is ruined.
The beginning of our Aegean area civilization dates back to
4000-3000 EC. During this time, in the area, the civilizations of
Crete, Mom, Ion and Islands have existed. The Aka's who migrated to
Mora brought the civilization of Crete to an end. The Dor's who came
to Greece from the north also brought their civilization to an end.
In Sari Teksiye's The History of Little Asia, Teas is represented as
a city of Karya founded by Cretans running away from Aka's in 2000
EC. In 1190 BC Aka's running away from the Dor's and some Greek
tribes migrated to the west Anatolian coasts. The first tribe under
the leadership of Atamas landed in Teos. He was heartily welcomed.
After this hearty welcome is heard, second big group of people under
the command of Apekiis came. The native citizens became a minority;
hence Teos was no longer a Karian city but became an Ionian city.
According to the writer of The Great History of World Jak Pirenni,
Teos has lived its brightest period in 900 BC which was a period of
peace provided by the Assyrians. In this period; Teos, Millet,
Priyene, Ephesus, Sisam, Colophon, Kalaomen and Eritrea gathered
together and formed an Ionian federation. This federation became
famous worldwide in the areas of metal processing, overseas trading,
business and finance. According to the history ofHeredot, in 546 BC
when Persians conquered Lydia; lonians were in the defense. Teos
took part in the alliance by sending 17 ships and soldiers. (Considering
the fact that the Focaians could contribute only by sending 3 ships,
the power of Teos can better be understood).
After the Persian wars, Teas joined the Anik-Delos union together
with Athens. In the second Peloponnesian wars, on the disaster of
Athens, with the intermediation of Spartans' Zoru and Tsaferin's
(Seferihisar) Takes, accepted the reign of Spartans and kept silent
to the destruction of the walls. These city walls were reconstructed
together with the temples with the help of Athens in the 4th century.
Most of the remaining ruins belong to that century.
Ahmet Ersoy who has researched Teos history and claimed that in 2 BC.
In the war between the Syrian King of Selefkos, Atonyiis, and
Romans; Romans tried to prevent Teos from helping Selefkos. In the
meantime Roman's helped and prevented a probable defeat. After the
Roman conquest of Anatolia, Teos was under the rule of Pergamon
Empire for a while. Teos was one of the first cities to accept
Christianity. During this period 5 saints lived in Teos and it
became an important religious center. In 17th century BC during the
reign of the Roman Empire Tiberius, big earthquakes took place in
the Aegean region. These earthquakes won over. The cities collapsed
and citizens deserted this region. Thus, Teos became a ruin.
The citizens of Teos belonged to the Bacchus sect. Cevat Sakir in
his work named Koca Yurd, wrote that; during the Dionysian feasts,
they had decorated a goat as a symbol and marched it through the
streets of the city and added that they had made sacrifices in the
temple of Bacchus. Teos was the cradle of theatre, the artists had
formed the Dionysian society and Libidos was founded as a place for
the members of this society for camping and preparation.
Teas is one of the 12 Ionian cities. They were specialized in the
areas of seamanship, trade, winery, olive oil producing and textile.
Teas' drinking vessels were famous even in the archaic ages. Teos
which became rich by trade and maritime was first conquered by
Lydian's and than by Persians under the command of Mardonius in 545
EC. After these developments Teosians moved their colonies to Abdera.
During the Persian conquest, geometrician and philosopher Tales
proposed to establish this place as a center for the confederation
of Ions against Persians.
Anekreon, the famous lyric poet, lived in this city in the sixth
century. During the Persian conquest he had lived in the palaces of
Athena and Sisam and had later returned to Teos.
In the 5th century, Teos became the home of sophist Protagoras, the
tutor of the first nuclear theorist Demokritos and Petricles. The
Anatolian Ion architecture is influenced by Pytheus and Hermoneges
and these also influenced at first the Roman and then the
Renaissance architecture. In the temple Dionysus was worshipped and
was also known as Setaminios. (Heralding the coming of spring).
Dionysus is represented as not only the god of theatre and wine but
also the god of fertility. In the temple there is an 'S' shaped
statue of Dionysus holding Tyhros in one hand and Kantharos in the
The limestone used in building the temple was brought from the
Karagol stone quarry. This gray limestone was exported even to Rome
starting from 6 BC. Sigacik citadel cannot be placed in Piri Reis'
map. Probably, in accordance with his advice, during Siileyman the
Magnificent's expedition to Rhodes, Sigla Citadel was built by using
stones from Teos. After the Roman em, during the Byzantium reign.
Bishop of Teos joined the Christian council connected to the Grecian
According to historical sources, the marble road which went through
Teos was connected to Urla Pier which was then called "Kilizyum" and
the island where the State Hospital is located on one end, and to
Cesme's Ildir Village on the other. Another connection was from
Libidos to Ephesus and to Lydia's capital Sard. Thus a connection
with Ninova was set.
Many archeological Teos foundings belonging to 2nd BC were returned
to Izmir Archeological Museum from Paris Museum. Other historical
foundings like ceramics, relieves and statues belonging to later
periods of Rome and Byzantium were found and examined, by French
Professors Robert and Meboron. Some of these were smuggled out of
ECER HOTEL, İsmail ECER Sığacık mahallesi
ECER HOTEL-Tel: 0090 232 745 73 74
otel:0090 232 7457374